Saturday, March 12, 2016

Mini Product Review: Ben & Jerry's Dairy Free Ice Cream Chocolate Fudge Brownie

Hi There!
OH. MY. GAWD.
Finally! Since they announced that Ben & Jerry's was going to make vegan ice cream, I have been waiting and waiting. Just a month or less time ago they announced the release of the vegan ice cream line by Ben & Jerry's! And then I had to wait until today for them to reach this side of the country. I then had to wait until a store near me carried them. I even walked right past the Ben & Jerry's section because I just assumed the store I was at still didn't carry any of them. I had to do a double take when I almost walked past an end freezer of one of the isles that had on the top shelf two of the four flavors. I am pretty sure everyone around me thought I was some crazy person because I literally started jumping up and down and I had the dumbest smile on my face. I had my phone out in a second to take a picture and send it to the boyfriend. I FINALLY FOUND THEM! Buying it was a must. I was tempted to buy all the flavors but that particular store only had three of the four flavors in stock so I decided if I couldn't get all four at once I should just get one to start. Not to mention they are about $5.49 each. Yes, vegan ice cream tends to be more expensive than normal ice cream and keep in mind it is also a new product so the demand hasn't grown yet. As more and more people want it the cheaper it should get but I never see it going below $4. 


Alright, so as I mentioned above there are four flavors; Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Coffee Caramel Fudge, P.B. & Cookie and Chunky Monkey. I am most excited for the caramel one and naturally that was the flavor the store didn't have :( but I am determined to find it; Whole Foods don't let me down. I was tempted to try the P.B. & Cookies since, I love Oreos and peanut butter together but I, sadly, can't eat peanut butter, so I decided I didn't want to get sick so didn't go with that one. That is not to say I won't be trying it in the future because I plan to. Chunky Monkey is a flavor I never even tried before I went vegan and this is my opportunity to try it (and I will). However, I have an intolerance to bananas, so again I wan't feeling like getting sick. So that left........


I typically prefer vanilla based flavors but given my options and my desire to try all 4 eventually, I decided to go with the chocolate. I told myself dinner first and then dessert. And the whole time I was making dinner I told myself that I don't have to eat the whole thing but if I do it's not the end of the world. It's okay to have sweets from time to time. The whole thing won't make me fat. It won't make me ugly. I'll be okay. I even waited almost an hour between dinner and eating the ice cream. 


So as you can see it's a chocolate ice cream base with brownie chunks mixed in. Over all it was good but way too rich for my taste. It was rich and creamy but then you get that chewy bite of brownie which was my favorite part. It was so rich I couldn't finish it. I had about 3 or 4 bites left which is a big deal for me because I always finish my ice cream. :) I probably won't buy this particular flavor again, not because it was gross but because it was too rich for me. And if I ever have a craving for chocolate ice cream I would prefer So Delicious brand Cashew Milk Dark Chocolate Truffle. But try it out for yourself and make your own conclusion.

I did take a peek at the nutritional information just out of curiosity not because I track that stuff (I don't think anyone should calorie count or follow macros or whatever). But if anyone is interested, it does have more calories and fat in comparison to So Delicious brand ice cream but less than Coconut Bliss brand.

When I try the other flavors I will try to do a review on each of those too.

Peace & Love,
The Punk Rock Vegan


No comments:

Post a Comment